Thursday, December 15, 2011

Run! Sarah Run!


 This is my third 5k race. It was the funnest one yet.

The morning started out right. I went to bed on time and got a good nights sleep. I woke up at 7am to make sure I had plenty of time to eat a good breakfast before I had to leave. As I was getting ready to go and gathering up my stuff, I realized that I forgot to charge my MP3 player. The battery is totally dead. Well, there is no running without music. If I actually had to pay attention to how my lungs and legs are feeling while running, then I would not be able to make it without stopping to walk. So, I grabbed a car charger and figured if I let it charge for 45min before the race I would be good.

It wasn't charging.

I got out of the car and ran into the house and grabbed every cord I could find that fit. I ran back and tried them all. Nothing worked. CRAP.

I finally had to wake Ryan up and ask to use his MP3. It meant that I would be running to mystery music, but that was way better than no music at all.

So I left and drove all the way to the race and realized that I forgot my race number at home on the kitchen table... Poo  Thankfully the race is only a five minute drive from my house so, I drove home and got it.

I had plenty of time. Once I got to the race and had everything I needed, I danced around to the very loud music with some friends as we tried to stay warm. It was going to be a great race.

This was a women's only race. I didn't think much of it, but once I got there and I was surrounded by women and we were all chatting and dancing and being silly, it struck me how different the atmosphere was at this race. I really liked it.

Once the race began I was charged up and ready to do my best. I didn't expect to improve my time. I hadn't run in months. I would be happy if I just managed to run the whole thing without stopping. So as I rounded the first corner and began to descend down a hill, I got nervous. I knew I would have to come back up that hill at the very end of the race. It was going to suck. I can do this!


I found my pace. I don't run with friends. I don't want the pressure of having to stop if they do or of trying to keep up if they're faster. So I just run, and the running was good. It felt nice and right. I was running to one of Ryan's play lists and it was a good one. I barely know how to use his MP3 but I managed to get something to play so I went with it. One thing my husband is very good at is finding awesome music. Well, as I am running a song from Ok Go comes on and everything falls into place. It was like a surge of energy went poring through my body. The tempo was up beat and matched my stride. I noticed a spring in my step and a smile on my face. THIS was a running song. I am going to listen to this song until the end of the race!


After hitting repeat about four times....something goes terribly wrong. I don't know what I pushed but I lost the music. I can't figure it out. I end up having to stop and walk in order to see it good enough to try and fix it. I hate stopping! I am watching as all the ladies I have passed start to pass me and I can't get this thing to work. Curse you MP3 player! 

So, I must carry on and do my best with no music. I start running again. I notice the stitch in my side and the pain in my hip. I develop a rhythm with my breathing, in on the right foot out on the left. I have about 3/4 of a mile to go and I am not stopping again. I start to pass the ladies who have stopped to walk and I am feeling good. I see the hill looming ahead and I watch more ladies stop to walk up the hill. Well, (ha) not his girl. There will be no walking for me (ha ha)!

I hit that hill like a battering ram. My legs were fine. They were in a numb-autopilot mode at this point. My lungs, however, wanted to escape my chest. I wouldn't let them. Not only did I run that hill, I kept my same pace. I dominated that hill.

Once I got to the top I sprinted for all I was worth. I knew the end was just around the corner. As I crossed the finish line I took a glimpse at the time clock and saw 35:41. I almost cried with joy! This was my best time ever!! I looked around and I had no one to jump and cheer with. It was kind of bittersweet and lonely. I am so proud of myself to overcoming all the obstacles and still getting my best time. Makes me wonder what it could have been if I didn't have to stop for the MP3.

At the end of the race I got in line for a massage and loaded up on all the free goodies. It was a fantastic morning and a great race. I am looking forward to the next one.



This is my friend Bethany and I at a race in Midland, TX in March 2011.

3 comments:

  1. You are a ROCKSTAR!!! I got an email today that reminded me of you: a friend will calm you down when you are angry, but a BEST FRIEND will skip beside you with a baseball bat singing "someone's gonna get it!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you!

    Everytime I talk to you or Shay (or read a blog post) about running it makes me want to try it, too. Which is funny because I've always hated running. But who knows... maybe I will some day.

    You look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is what I need to do--keep signing up for races to keep me motivated. They are so much fun!

    ReplyDelete