We've had a bit of an adventure in the last few weeks. It all started when the air conditioner in the van stopped working. I was crossing my fingers for a quick fix but not holding my breath. After the dealership kept the van for two days the verdict came back that the compressor was shot and we needed to replace it, an easy $1,100 would get the job done. I said "No, can't fix it now" and went to get my van. I drove away with cold air blowing out my vents. Guess we'll see how long it lasts.
Three days later..... I awoke to find a huge puddle in our kitchen. It was discovered when Ryan almost slipped and died while getting Alana some milk. The water was coming out from under the dishwasher. It was draining out the front into the kitchen but also out the back in to the living room carpet. I moped up the mess an alerted the maintenance department. They hurried over turned off the water to the dishwasher and told me someone would be by later to have a look.
Mario (maintenance man) showed up and quickly figured out that there was a slab leak. Essentially there was a water leak in a pipe under the cement and he would have to jack hammer it up and find it. But, "sorry lady" it will have to wait until Monday he doesn't work on the weekends. In the mean time they shut off the water to our whole unit and gave me the keys to the empty place across from us.
So, Sunday after church we moved our whole living room, dining table, washer and dryer (Monday is laundry day) and all the mattresses over. The kids thought it was the funnest thing ever and had a hard time doing to sleep.
| Our temporary home |
Two days of drying and a good cleaning later, it all turned out okay. We moved back in one week after the pipe broke. The kids were really glad to be back home again.
Three days later.....It's Sunday afternoon and we are hurrying out the door to get to church on time. Ryan starts the van as I buckle the kids. We heard a noise and Ryan says "Sounds like the starter might be going out." Evan says "What's that smell?" "I don't know. Just get your seat belt on." I reply. As I step out of the van I see what Evan was smelling. We have smoke coming out from under the hood of the van. Ryan hurry's and turns it off and pops the hood. We see the radiator blowing anti-freeze strait into the fan. At least it is steam instead of smoke (in hind sight I think opening the hood on a smoking car might be a bad thing. Feeding a fire is never a good idea) but either way the van is down and we pile into the Camry and head off to church.
For the next week (also the last week of school) I play taxi driver as I hustle McKenna and Evan to there different schools and Ryan to his two job locations. Didn't leave much free time.
Ryan has figured out that he can replace the radiator himself for a fraction of the cost of taking it in. If something else is going to break at least it's right up front where it's easy to get to. Ryan still needs to order the part and I figure by the time it gets here and he gets it installed it could be another week or two. In the mean time we took our friends up on the offer of borrowing their truck. Playing taxi driver is no fun.
Seven days later....Alana, Evan and I get a very nasty 24hour flu. I will spare you the details but it was an awful way to end the month of May.
I do not wish to sound whiny or in grateful. We had a month full of adventures. Some frustrations along the way but also lots of smiles. I am abundantly blessed.
Sounds like you guys need a vacation. I hear Wyoming is nice.
ReplyDeleteWyoming is nice. Unfortunately it is not in the plans this Summer. :(
ReplyDelete