Thursday, September 22, 2011

Evan is Six

My boy has turned six and I really must get the post out before he turns seven. 


The month of August did not go at all according to plan. Before Gavin was diagnosed our family was scheduled to go to Disney World with the Thomas family. They had presented us with an amazing opportunity and we couldn't say no. We should have been there August 10-17. Evan's birthday is on the thirteenth. He was so excited to have his birthday in Florida. When things were canceled the kids really took it very well. I have wonderful understanding kids. There was never any whining or complaining. In fact it was never mentioned again. But after all the build up and let down of Disney, I felt that we had to do something special for Evan this year.


Evan's birthday landed on a Saturday and it turned out it was the weekend before Gavin had his first chemo treatment so, the Thomas's and the Graham's went camping. We had so much fun. We went back to the same place we had camped before and it was just as good. On Saturday we cooked a big breakfast then headed up into the woods. When we had hike there before we found a dried up creek that had some really cool rock formations. Well this time that dry creek was full of water and the rock formations turned out to be a natural water slide. The kids couldn't wait to get into the water. We stayed there for a couple of hours and had our picnic and let the kids swim until they were to cold to do it any more.




McKenna had fun on the slide but, she got cold the soonest and we had to wrap her in a plastic poncho to warm her up.
















The cold didn't bother Evan. He went down the slide a lot. He tells me that he likes cold because he was born in a cold state.








Of course Alana didn't go down the slide. She really wanted to. I didn't want to get wet so, no slide for her. She did, however, have a lot of fun throwing rocks into the water and kicking and splashing.


When we got back to camp I surprised Evan with some cupcakes that I brought. I forgot the candles so I put in a match and called it a "camping candle." He was surprised and so excited about the cupcakes. He got one little present with the promise of more at his "real" birthday party later.



It was the perfect way for a six year old boy to spend his birthday.

Fast forward two weeks....




 Evan really wanted to have his birthday at Chuck E Cheese. I told him he could invite two friends and we would have a ton of tokens for everyone. He invited Joseph is best friend from St. Luke's preschool last year and Garth Lee the son of my best friend Brooke. They had so much fun.






Evan had a Transformers themed party and Brooke made his cake. She did an amazing job. I have no such talents. We where there for an hour an a half and with the amount of tokens I bought we could have stayed another hour.

He had a wonderful birthday this year and I am so glad that he is mine. I love my boy. It's hard to believe he is six already. I suppose I will be saying that every year one of my kids gets older, but it is true. Time goes so fast and my babies are getting bigger and bigger. 


Next year when he turns 7 we will (most likely) have just moved to a new city still unpacking our new house and have no new friends, yet. So I really wanted this year to be huge so that when next year is much smaller he will be okay with it. Guess we will just wait and see.








1 comment:

  1. You have amazing talents! Your best one is not even your desserts (contrary to my husband's opinion). You are the best friend a best friend could have. I love you so much, and your kids. I'm so glad that Evan wanted Garth Lee at his party, they had so much fun. I don't want to know what will happen next year when you are posting about his 7th. I wish we could stop time somehow, get Ryan out of school, move you next door, but keep our kids where they are. I know we have so many wonderful things ahead of us with our families and friends, but I will just tell you now, I am not going to take you guys leaving very well, and neither will my boys! You are so special, Evan, McKenna, Alana, even Ryan ;-)...you guys are all so special to us, I hate that the countdown is approaching for you leaving, but I am also excited for your family. Anyways, Happy 6th Evan! I PROMISE, we WILL make up for Disney one day.

    ReplyDelete