Wednesday, October 12, 2011

McKenna is Baptized, Let's Party



A baptism is a very special and sacred event. It is also an event that requires a party. I think so anyway.


When McKenna turned 7 I realized how close we were to having our first child baptized. I started to think about what I wanted to do to celebrate the event and to make it as special as possible for McKenna. I realize that not everyone feels the same way I do. Most baptisms are small family affairs with very little fan fair. Really the most important thing that needs to happen on that day is the baptism and the confirmation. Everything else is just for fun.


We were lucky enough to be able to have the baptism on a weekend that family could come in. I had my Mom, Dad, sister Becca and her two kids. We were also thrilled to have the surprise arrival of my niece Aspen (Mckenna's best friend in the world). From Ryan's side of the family we had his Father and sister Shayla. We all felt so loved and blessed that all this family came so far to be here and to celebrate McKenna.


Friday after school I took McKenna to Dianne's (Brooke's mother) salon. She had offered to braid McKenna's hair special for her big day.


Evan, Hallie, Aspen and McKenna


Some how Dianne managed to work despite the crazy kids.


The end result
Saturday morning, the day of the baptism, went smoothly. We only had one minor hick-up. My parent's GPS sent them to the wrong end of town and since they had all the clothing and bags we had to wait for them. The baptism started at 10am and they arrived at 9:55am. So, no big deal. I, being generally high strung (about being on time) and easily stressed, managed to take this in stride. I didn't let it kill the spirit of the day (huge for me).



McKenna was amazing. She glowed all morning along. She was sweet and excited. She picked the program out herself and she really wanted her Daddy to give her the talk on baptism. He did an amazing job. It was an emotional and spirit-filled talk about how proud we (her parents) are of her for making this choice and about the importance of baptism and the commitment she is making with her Heavenly Father. He had me, himself and several others in tears before the end. After the talk, Ryan and McKenna entered the baptismal font and had the baptism. I met her at the top of the stairs when it was over. She was smiling so hard I thought she would cramp her cheeks. When we got into the locker room we hugged for a long time and just cried with joy. The spirit was radiating off of her and it felt amazing. At that moment she was as pure and clean as is possible. I will never forget that experience.

Once she was dressed we came out and she recited a poem called My Three White Dresses. She did a beautiful job.

She asked her Grandfather, Blaine Graham, to give the talk on confirmation. He shared some wonderful personal experiences and really helped her to understand the importance and value of the Holy Ghost. The confirmation followed and it to, was amazing. There is no doubt in my mind that McKenna is something special. I'm not just saying that because I am her mother. She really is a very choice daughter of God and I am always amazed that he chose me to be her mother.

When the ceremony was over and everyone had left to head over to the after party, Ryan, Mckenna and I went over to the temple and had my father-in-law and sister-in-law take some pictures of us.






I am so grateful to Blaine and Shayla for doing that for us. The temple shots are my favorite from the whole day.


PARTY TIME

When I told my mother of all the plans I had for the post gathering she replied "Your going to a lot of trouble and expense for this. Is this how they do things down in Texas?". That made me laugh because things are done big in Texas but they don't host BBQ's for a baptism. I, on the other hand, really wanted to. I saved for several months so that I could do everything I wanted and pay cash for it. We invited all our friends and family. I baked forty mini loaves of banana bread to give one to each family. I decorated the house and made goodie bags for the kids. With the help of Brooke and Garth Thomas we had  BBQ-pulled-pork, smoked brisket, my dads coleslaw, rolls, veggie tray, chips, hot dogs, a corn dish called buzzard bate, and of course, my parents' homemade ice cream and Brooke's amazing cake. 



Brooke bought the temple for McKenna and made the cake. It was delicious and so beautiful.










The party was also to celebrate McKenna's birthday. So she got to blow out the candles.


We played pin the Moroni on the temple.


The amazing Shayla drew the temple and cut out all the little Moroni


Of course there were presents.


When it was all over and the last guest left. My Mother, Becca and I cleaned up, all the other adults went to sleep. :)


It was all worth it. All the money and effort, stress and craziness was worth it. I saw so much joy that day, not only in McKenna but also in my family and friends. We have made so many friends here and have gotten to know so many wonderful families, it was truly and honor to share this special day with them all. I felt loved and I know McKenna did to. I wouldn't change a thing. Thank you to everyone who helped out and for all the wonderful gifts. It was perfect.




1 comment:

  1. I was so glad I to be there! I wouldn't have missed it. (Not so glad to have exposed myself so blatantly!)

    ReplyDelete