Tuesday, July 27, 2010

My Vacation - Part 1

Our chilly 4th of July
My trip breaks down into three parts: my parents' house, my in-laws, and family camping. All three parts were pretty good and as I sit here I realize I have a lot to say about all of it. I am excited to begin.

The kids and I took off very early on a Friday morning. I was not so sure what to expect from Alana. Turns out I needn't worry. She is a really good traveler. But, just to keep us all sane on the 9 hour trip to my sister's house, I stopped twice along the way so we could walk around and the kids could play at a park for a bit. While McKenna and Evan didn't start out as good travelers, over the years, and our share of portable DVD players later, they do a really good job.

Mud? What mud? I didn't do it.
Sunday morning we all took off and headed to my parents' house. There are a few key highlights to the week at my parents' house. But the best time I had the whole week happened on the night we got there.

Rose and I pulled into town long enough to meet the babysitters my parents hired, grab a fast dinner and load up to head out to the shooting range. There was a shooting competition going on and we were going to join in. I was very excited about this. I am a terrible shot. I don't think I had held a gun prior to that night in at least 4 years. For me, growing up the way I did, that is a very long time. Nevertheless, I was ready to give it my best. The competition worked like this - two people would come up to the rope, standing side-by-side about 6 feet apart. When the judge gave the word the shooters would load their guns and stand ready. Once the judge said "fire" the two would shoot the 6 bowling pins on the table in front of them, about 12-15 feet away. First one to knock all 6 of their pins down won the round. I never won a single round. But I had a whole lot of fun trying. I giggled and laughed. I teased my sisters and cheered for my parents. I am sure my brother-in-law thought I was acting like a 15 year old, cause I kind of was. Something about being with just my parents and sisters (plus the bro-in-law) takes the "put together adult" right out of me. I had a blast! I really hope that I will get to do that again next time I go home.

Once Rose flew out and I was officially in charge of her 3 kids plus my own, I decided it wasn't going to be so bad. My baby sister, Elizabeth, was also in town and volunteered to be a full helper. My mom was home from work at 1pm everyday and then she pitched in. This was going to be a piece of cake, right? Wrong. Two days in the flu hits (insert ominous music here). Of all the kids there, the worst case scenario was the one who actually got sick - Rose's baby. He is just shy of 2 years old. Not old enough to tell you he is going to puke and young enough that all he wants is his Mommy. It was awful for the poor boy. He quickly attached to Elizabeth. Good for me, bad for her. She ended up with the flu also. Knocked her down flat for 36 hours. He ended up being truly sick for 8 days. Thank goodness my mom and baby sister were there or I never would have survived with my sanity intact.
She is so cute

All in all the kids had so much fun. All the cousins are close enough in age that they play really well together and they love each other tons. They spent loads of time riding the 3-wheelers and playing in the water. I was lucky enough to spend a day out in my Dad's shop helping him swap out an axle on a trailer. It was good to get my hands dirty and spend time with the old man. Elizabeth and I took the older kids to the pool and really had a blast with them (Mom stayed home with the sick kids and my baby. Thanks Mom!!). I am really glad that I was able to be there. Not only to help Rose out but also to get to spend so much time with Elizabeth. She just moved back to CO but chances are I won't get her to myself again like I did this summer. I love you Boo!

I was really bummed with myself when I actually looked at my pictures. I didn't take nearly enough. I really need to be better about that. Either way, enjoy what I have.

1 comment:

  1. That expression on Evan's face reminds me of Justin when he was a little kid.

    ReplyDelete