Thursday, February 17, 2011

Almost 24 Hours "Together"

 My feeling for Ryan as a thirteen year old were VERY confusing. When I was not around him I liked him a lot. I thought about him and wrote his name in my notebooks (with a heart around it). I told my friends that I liked him. I even went a bit "weird" and carved his initials into my ankle. Strange, I know, but that is what all the girls were doing with the initials of the boys they liked, and I was a bit of a follower.  However, when we were actually around each other he kind of bugged me. I could never really put my finger on it. He was totally cute. We had a lot in common, but there was something about his mannerisms that bothered me. I almost always left him feeling annoyed and angry. As you can imagine that did not make for a good relationship.

Despite all the up and down of emotion (on my part), we made a go of it. We were in 7th grade and 13 years old. We spent a lot of time talking on the phone in those days. We would talk for hours. On the phone we were great. I couldn't actually see him doing annoying things so we were awesome together. We both knew that we liked each other and we decided to "go out". I remember feeling very excited about it as I went to bed that night. I was nervous about seeing him the next day, but an excited nervous.

We didn't share any classes that year, but there were different times when we would see each other in the halls. There was one class period that our rooms were next to each other. We would meet and then walk down the hall to our lockers. On that fateful day things went bad. After we met up and started walking. Ryan put his arm around my shoulder and strutted down the hall. That may sound innocent but I didn't think so. I remember thinking, "Who does he think he is! Putting his arm round me like he owns me. Like I am his property that he can lord over!". I was SOOOOO annoyed.

I was a very independent girl. I was raised to be tough and self reliant. I didn't like boys to open doors for me or pay for me. I was perfectly capable of doing that for myself, thank you very much. I didn't exactly have the best attitude.

That night I had my best friend call him and break up with him for me. Crappy, I know.

I think things may have gone differently if he had held my hand instead.

3 comments:

  1. oh, yes, the 13 year old romances. soooo awkward. when i was in 4th grade, a boy called me and asked if i would go out with him. i said, hold on and went and asked my sister and my mom if i should say yes(i had no idea what that meant) and they got all excited and said i should. so i did. we held hands at skateland once. i went over to his house to watch movies with his family and some friends. his little brother went to my moms preschool(in my house) and one day his little brother ran up into my room after preschool and my barbies were all over the place. i totally lied and said they were my nieces!! lol. then he moved away. we were friends in high school and totally would reminisce on those days and laugh so hard! sooo awkward and soooo fun to laugh at now!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I once dated a girl (no, really) that carved my initials into her ankle. I never knew until now that was an "in" thing to do. I just thought she was psychotic. I guess I should have married her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "That night I had my best friend call him and break up with him for me." - Awesome!!

    ReplyDelete