Sunday, April 3, 2011

The Missed Opportunity

In the Spring of 1998 Ryan and I were 18 years old and almost one year post high school. I was living in Colorado, attending my local community college, and working to save up for a university. Ryan was still living in Wyoming, working, and trying to figure out the next step in his life.

During my first year of community college I would often go up to Rock Springs to use the library. You have to remember there was a time before the internet.

 NO, it cannot be! , you say.

But, alas it is true. When I was in college I actually had to go to a library and look in a book. Terrifying, I know. Those were hard times. (man that makes me feel old) Anyway, Rock Springs has a great library system and a really good research library at Western Wyoming Community College. My tiny Podunk town did not have either of those things.

So, on my trip to the library I would usually stop in and see Ryan. At some point during those visits things actually started to click with us (for real this time). I didn't walk away annoyed. I was always sad to go and eager to see him again. Between visits we would email and talk on the phone. I really felt that things were working this time. Unfortunately, I was the only one who felt that way.

After I had been up to see him 3 or 4 times, we decided that we would meet halfway one day and do some hiking. The drive between our two towns is a little over two and a half hours. About halfway, there is a beautiful spot called Irish Canyon. It's the best part of the whole drive. They have a little campground and that is where we were to meet. He never showed.

At no point did he ever give me any indication that he would not be there. So I sat there on the picnic table. I don't know how long I waited. This was also the age before everyone had cell phones (barbaric, right?). So, I couldn't even call to see if he had left or anything. I worried that he might be in an accident or that his car broke down. Maybe a family emergency came up and he tried to call me but I had already left my house. I thought of all these reasons, but I NEVER thought that he would intentionally not show up. Ryan wouldn't do that to me. I was wrong.

For the next week I called and emailed. He never contacted me back. I know a blow off when I see it. I was the master of them myself.

That summer I moved to Logan to attend Utah State University. I never expected to see or hear from Ryan again. Once again I was wrong, but it would be two more years before we were, once again, in each other's lives.

3 comments:

  1. Mom was soooo mad at Ryan for not showing up that day. She always liked you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure he had a good excuse. Like paintball. '98 was around the time paintball came before everything. Women. Food. Sleep. All were secondary to our obsession with shooting each other. It was the best fun to be had in the Dark Ages before the internet.

    I will also say in Ryan's defense that although he may have been a cad, he was an impeccably clean shaven cad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no idea who Sarah was until shortly before she and Ryan got married.

    ReplyDelete