Ryan and I were itching to get out of town and into some mountains. We were still recovering from the fact that we didn't get to go to Colorado for the family get together so we figured we would go to the closest place we could. Living in West Texas, the closest mountains and trees are a four and a half hour drive into New Mexico.
Once we pulled in to the camp and started to unload and step up, the first thing Evan did was pick up a stick and start hitting a tree. McKenna went exploring and Alana started running laps around the picnic table. Ryan and I looked at each other with huge grins and commented that it was so fun to see our kids out being wild in nature. Living in an apartment with no backyard they rarely get the chance to run free. It's in their blood to thrive in the wilderness. They really did not disappoint.
We made it pretty far before stopping for lunch. While we were eating the clouds started rolling in pretty dark and the thunder was getting closer. We decided that once we were done eating that we would head back down before the rain started. We didn't make it to far before the rain started. We hurriedly put on the ponchos I packed and continued on. It wasn't long before the rain stopped but we didn't want to turn around and go up again. There was no complaining on the downward trip. :)
Once back at camp the kids ran around like wild animals and had a blast playing together. Ryan and I played some dominoes and read our books. It was a perfect day.
That night I got a text at 4:58am. I heard it beep but I didn't really wake up enough to check it. A couple of minutes later I heard another text beep. It was from my bestie Brooke. #1) "Are you guys still camping?" #2)"Gavin is in ICU, he's got a mass in his lung, we are hoping it's an infection and not a tumor". Gavin is Brooke's 17 month old son.
I didn't really sleep after that. We got up and had breakfast. I texted her and asked if there was "any news this morning". Her reply, "It's cancer, we see the pediatric oncologist Tuesday, we will be here for a long time, surgery this week sometime, find out if it's malignant or metastasized and do chemo and radiation".
We broke down camp and broke down in tears. We could no longer focus on going hiking or having a picnic in the woods. All I knew was that I had to get back and get to Brooke's side.
This is how I roll, so don't take offense.
ReplyDeleteCell phones get turned off during family vacations. The world is full of important happenings that never stop. Friends matter. Family matters more and they need undivided attention and time void of extra-familial events. Kids know when their parents are stressed and they in turn become stressed.
That said, I'm sorry about your friend and her son. Brooke is a lucky lady to have you as her best friend. And thanks for the pics of your adorable kids. I love you and Ryan to death. But in the case of choosing between you and Ryan, and your kids, during a calamitous event, I'm grabbing the kids ;)
Wow. Do you know any more? How is Brooke and family?
ReplyDeleteTara - Brooke is keeping constant updates going on her facebook page.
ReplyDeleteJason - I to have a rule about cell phones while camping. I only had it that night because I forgot my watch and I need to know the time when I am woken up at night. I'm really glad I had it. It would have killed me to get the message Monday. Brooke needed me and my family knows that.
My kids are worth saving. :) I'm glad you feel that way.