First off I don't think I expressed my gratitude for working mothers. I realize that not all women want to stay at home.
I fully understand the attraction of having a career. I graduated from college and worked full time as a Project Assistant for a research project. I did that job for two years before McKenna was born. I was really good at it and I enjoyed the work very much. I struggled with the choice of whether to stay home with her or to work again. That is, I struggled until she was born and then the choice was easily made. I couldn't bring myself to leave her. Not even for good money that we really needed. Maybe it was selfish on my part to stay home. But I feel that I made the right choice, then and now.
I know there are plenty of women who find themselves in a position of needing to work. Whether they are widowed, single, divorced, or simply need to work in order to maintain a good lifestyle, they are working. I am sure that there are times when they are made to feel guilty for not staying home and choosing instead to have a career. In our society there is no right choice. There is only personal preference. Unfortunately, there are those that think they have the only right answer and that makes them superior. I don't believe there is one right answer.
I have one dear friend who found herself widowed at 29 with 3 very young children. She was a stay-at-home mother forced into a position of having to work full time. She is currently back at school.
I have another friend who adopted her daughter while in the middle of a PhD program. She was put into the position of needing to choose whether to quit the program and stay home or to continue and get her doctorate. She chose to finish school. I think she made the right choice.
I have a sister who has worked full time through two pregnancies and her husband is a stay-at-home dad. This is not what either of them want, but it is what the situation demands at this point.
There are also many women who do stay at home but also need to make some extra money.
I have another sister who's husband makes a good living, but she needs to work for herself. She babysits and runs her "toy" business. She finds gratification in making her own money and contributing to the household.
Every mother has different circumstances and only she can know what is right for her and her children. Thank you to those who have commented on my recent posts. I found them very encouraging and sweet. My friends and family mean a lot to me.
For those who are interested I read an article that lists the 100 Best Companies for working mothers.
Ok, I'm done now.
I am grateful to women who excel in their careers. They show every day that women are smart and capable and can achieve amazing things in the workplace. Because of them, my daughters (or myself, if need be,) have the option of entering the working world without having to prove ourselves first.
ReplyDelete