I dedicate the awesomeness of the Thanksgiving vacation to my loving husband.
A couple of days before school let out I asked Ryan for "one day". I just needed one day of child free noise were I could be in my own home and do whatever I wanted without my kids constantly at me for something. I realize that sounds totally whiny, but any mother will tell you after 12 weeks of carpool, homework and activities - mama needs a vacation too. It wouldn't be so bad if my family situation was ideal or even normal, but with Ryan being in grad school he can't clock out at 5:00 and be done for the day. He often works far into the night and requires me to keep the kids out of the office and out of his way. Now don't get me wrong, Ryan is a very involved father. - at least as involved as his work will allow him to be. He eats dinner with us every night and we all talk about our days. He sometimes helps with bedtime and then we have scripture reading and family prayers. He makes sure to spend one-on-one time with the kids and is very free with his hugs and kisses. The kids know that if they need some Daddy time that they can go and see him in the office anytime they want. He will always stop whatever he is working on in order to help them with anything. He's pretty good like that.
It's inevitable that I would feel the stress of his deadlines and feel that I need to do whatever I can to handle everything on the home front by myself. I do my best to do just that. It gets to be a lot over time and I occasionally need a break. I asked for my one day. I didn't get it. I got something far better instead - a glimpse into my future - a future where Ryan no longer has school work and is fully at home when he is at home. I got to see how nice it will be to have a two-parent home.
I had a lot of cooking to do on Wednesday and Ryan took care of the kids the whole time. We went to the gym and he did a spinning class with me (so fun). On Thursday he, again, took care of the kids while I cooked. We had Thanksgiving at our friends the Thomases and there was no need to hurry home so he could work. Friday was spent blissfully in bed watching TV and being lazy all day. It was great just spending time together like there was no other care in the world (I didn't get out of my pj's the whole day). Saturday we went to the gym together again and spent the afternoon watching Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. That evening Ryan went to a football game and our Sunday was business as usual.
Friday morning Ryan did ask me if I wanted my day off, but I was good. I was enjoying being a stress free family so much I no longer needed to have a day alone to recover. I long for the day when this can be my life all the time, or at least more often.
Just in case you didn't pick up on it, I REALLY love my husband. I'm a lucky gal.
No comments:
Post a Comment