I have been doing a bit of contemplating lately. When I had my epiphany that I'm not so bad after all, I started to look around at the women that inspire me. I realized that I have been blessed immensely with great examples. I also realized that I needed to let them know how I feel about them.
I started locally. I looked around and thought about the ones that I see often and the ones that I don't get to see any more and miss. I looked at women both in my church and not. I found them at the gym, in my daughter's school, my husband's job, and in my book group. I made a dozen loaves of little banana breads and started to make my list. I started with the loaves so I would know how many I could give. I began to realize that my list was longer than my pile of bread.
Almost every note started with "This is my loaf of gratitude". Then I listed the things that I was grateful for when I thought of them - things like how they teach their children well, or how happy I am that they came into my life. Some are fierce examples of strong independence and talent. Some are pursuing dreams that I hope to do myself someday. Others I thanked for simply being them - a friend I could count on at any time.
Writing the notes was so much fun. It's rare that I get a chance to think about a person and put into words what I feel about them. It's easy to say that I like someone, but when I have to really say why, I start to like them even more. I start to realize things that I haven't thought of before. It makes me appreciate them even more.
The best part about this whole experience was how I made them feel. When I started this, it was for me. I needed to evaluate who I was and who I wanted to be. We do that by looking at the people around us. I wanted these women to know that they have affected me for the better. The notes turned out to do the same thing for them. A couple of the ladies said that the notes really touched them and made their whole day better. Another keeps it at her kitchen window so whenever she is having a bad day she can read it. It was wonderful to hear that by doing this little thing I made them feel good about themselves.
The first twelve women that I chose are very different. But the one thing they all hold in common is that they make me want to be a better person. And for that, I thank them.
What a sweet way to brighten twelve women's days.
ReplyDeleteNow, are you going to send twelve fruitcakes to women who have made your life more difficult?