Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Running against the Wind


I have a love-hate relationship with running. I have hated the idea of running, and found it painful when I did have to do it, all my life...until 4 months ago.

As a teen I hated running because I am a very busty girl and never had the right support. For PE we had to run the mile under a certain time in order to pass the course. So I ran the mile once a year and never any other time. I never played sports that required running so I was just not used to it. Plus running really hurts the lungs. I would give up and walk as soon as my lungs started to burn and then never run again until the next school year.

As an adult I got the support problem under control and tried a few different times to be a runner. Ryan is a big time runner and he was a good motivation, but it never really happened. I would get bad pain in my hip joints every time I ran, to the point where I couldn't walk well the next day. So I gave up on the whole idea.

Fast forward 7 years and 3 kids later. In January of this year I still had/have some Alana baby weight to lose and I was looking for some motivation. A good friend of mine emailed me about a charity race that was happening in a nearby town. All the proceeds went to a family that had medical bills to pay for their son who was recovering from cancer. That was the motivation I needed. Ryan needed some too, so we both decided to run that race. I wanted to work for the 5k (3.1 miles) and Ryan the 10k (6.2 miles). I had 3 months to be ready to run.

The first time I went out I couldn't even run around my apartment complex without stopping to walk. My lungs burned and I coughed and whined. The next time I set a goal to run the whole complex circle without stopping. I almost made it. Third time was the charm. I was proud to be seeing progress but knew I had along way to go. My complex circle is only 1/4 of a mile. I kept at it when ever I could. Finding time to run was really heard with Ryan's schedule but before I knew it I could run 2 miles without stopping.

The day of the race, March 28, 2010, I was nervous but excited. I told myself I would do my best and run at my own pace. I did just that, with a push from another runner who ran as slow
as I did. (I met her after and thanked her for keeping me going) I ran the whole thing in 37.20min. It was awesome, and now I'm hooked.

I am now trying to get my kids excited about running and being healthy. I don't want them to hate it like I did as a kid. I don't want them to avoid running sports like I did. So I asked McKenna if she wanted to do a 1 mile kids fun run that was being sponsored in April. She said yes, and was very excited for it.

On the morning of her race it had been raining for 2 days straight and it was 42 degrees outside with plenty of wind. I gave her the option to stay home or to run. She really wanted to run. So we bundled up and went out. She did so good. I ran it with her and talked her through the whole thing. After her first 1 mile run she still wants to do it again. We will keep at it.

I am hoping to do more races in the future.

2 comments:

  1. Sarah, I don't know why you ever thought you weren't a good writer. This is good stuff!
    My dad is also enjoying your blog but is still trying to figure out the comment thing.
    Keep it up! And do some running for me, 'cuz I totally hate it and am not going to change.
    -Steph

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate running too, which is why when I do it I do wind sprints to pack in as much suffering into as little time as possible.

    I also had a hard time getting my comments to show up. I had to enable 3rd party cookies. This is with Firefox. Don't know what would work with Internet Explorer.

    ReplyDelete