Thursday, May 27, 2010

The Award for Worst Mom of the Day Goes too....

I messed up in a big way today. There was guilt and tears, gifts to over compensate and by the end forgiveness and smiles. It was rough.

Long story short I forgot McKenna's award ceremony. I had confused the days in my head and thought it was on Thursday when in fact it was on Wednesday. I figured out my mistake about 10 min before it was time to pick her up at the end of the day. I cried. I just pictured her sitting there looking for me and Ryan waiting for us to show up, and we never did.

You have to remember that I am an over involved mother. I am at all the holiday parties, field trips and have never missed an award ceremony. She has come to count on me being there for all events, so when I didn't show, she cried.  Just to throw salt on the wound, this was the first award ceremony that Ryan would have been able to go to, ever. I cried more.

I went to school early for pick up so I could take some pictures of McKenna and Ms. Turney with the awards. I walked into the room, desperately trying to keep myself together, and see McKenna. She gives me a huge smile and waves. I feel a little better. I tell Ms. Turney (who I have befriended) what happened and tear up in the process. Once McKenna is dismissed to get her things she runs to get her backpack and show me what she got. She very proudly pulls out 3 medals. I lose it and have to cover my face, I am doing the ugly cry. I recover in about 3 seconds and give her my biggest smile and tell her how proud I am of her. We hug. Tears and streaming and guilt and disappointment are abundant.

The medals are a big deal. Only one kid in the class will get a medal for any given subject. McKenna got Best Orator (for memorizing and reciting poetry), Best Reader, and Best Computer student. I am so sad that I missed hearing what the teachers had to say as they presented McKenna with her hard earned medals. I know how wonderful she is but I still love to hear others say it as well.

When she got home and showed Ryan. I felt bad again cause he missed it.

We had to make this up to her. So I told her we would have what ever she wanted for dinner since it's her special day. She said Applebees without hesitation so thats what we did. She likes to go and eat at fancy places. She considers anyplace that is not fast food to be fancy. After dinner we went to Coldstone and got some fancy cookie-ice-cream sandwiches. We saved the day.

She is so happy to have gotten so many medals and she knows how proud we are of her. She did not take my mistake nearly as hard as I did. (still am)

P.S. you will notice that McKenna is wearing glasses in the photo. She got them 2 days ago. That was supposed to be my next blog but then this happened. I will explain the glasses next.

2 comments:

  1. I wish "Good Mom Who Cares" and "Guilt, Guilt & More Guilt" weren't so intertwined, but I think it's unavoidable. Sam often asks why I feel guilty so much and I always tell him, "Because I care about the job I'm doing raising these precious children."
    McKenna didn't take it hard because you've shown her whole life that you're there for her and are cheering her on.
    Tell her I'm proud of her, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, McKenna seems to be doing just fine with the 99.976% of perfectionist mothering you provide her.

    ReplyDelete