We have known for a while that McKenna may need glasses. Her vision has tested low in her right eye for about a year and a half. The eye doctor said that since it was only a little bit in one eye she would be fine for a while. He tries not to give small children glasses unless they really need them. After a well-check in April and her telling me that sometimes she sees double, it was decided by her pediatrician and I that she needed to be checked again. Sure enough it had come to the point of really needing glasses.
McKenna had mixed feelings about this. Like any kid, I think she was afraid of being teased at school. But at the same time she was a bit excited at the idea of getting something new and special.
We had a mommy daughter date and went glasses shopping. We didn't really find anything we liked at the first store. But at the second she found several that she loved. I tried to give her gentle guidance but I wanted her to pick out what ever she wanted so that she would feel pretty and be excited to wear them. After narrowing down to three pairs she ended up picking the ones that I would have picked. She has good taste.
She has been wearing them for several days now and really loves them. She was amazed at how much it changed how she sees. She doesn't have to wear them all the time but she chooses to anyway. She really notices a difference when the takes them off. I am proud of how well she is taking care of them and I think (if she follows in her mothers foot steps) she will have a life time of wearing them.
McKenna wanted me to mention that she is no longer scared of being teased. Everyone is telling her how cute she looks in her glasses and that they like them.
ReplyDelete