Thursday, November 18, 2010

Honor Roll, Soccer, and Poop

My kids have all had some big things happen lately and since I can't seem to find the time to blog as much as I would like I will tell all three stories in one post. Plus, they are not very long stories.

McKenna had her second-six-week award ceremony. (It seems a bit over kill to have an awards ceremony every six weeks but what do I know.) I didn't make it to the first one so she asked that I come to this one, so I did. Thankfully they are only 30 minutes long. McKenna got a certificate for being on the straight A honor roll and another for being a "Remarkable Ram" (school mascot). She earned her Remarkable Ram for being so well behaved in the halls and lunch. She got to go to a party in the principal's office last week. After receiving her award the Principal asked her to tell everyone what she did at the party. She gladly announced, "I watched Wally and ate popcorn the whole time". I was very cute.

Evan has now wrapped up the soccer season. All-in-all it was a good experience for everyone. It was our first time doing any kind of sport and I think soccer was the right choice. The season started out shaky. He cried during the first two practices because he never got to kick the ball. He wasn't used the crowd of kids getting in his way. He informed me that it wasn't fair that they didn't take turns. That was our first lesson in real world sports. It wasn't to much later that he kind of gave up. He always ran with everyone else but he no longer tried to get to the ball. I knew my son was a follower and not a leader. It was very obvious while he played soccer. I would like him to try t-ball in the spring but I am not sure that Evan will have the focus for that, or the coordination. Guess we'll see.

Alana had a taste of potty training this week. She has been telling me for a while now when she needs her diaper changed. Since she is only 20 months old potty training had not crossed my mind - until she found the training potty. It's been under the kid's bathroom sink and when Alana discovered it we pulled it out. On a whim yesterday I hurried and put her on it when she gave me the "sign" that she was about poo. She didn't resist but didn't seem to know what she was supposed to do. After a couple of minutes we heard the clunk of pebbles hitting hard plastic. She franticly looked around to figure out what the noise was. I helped her up and showed her what she had done. She was TERR-I-FIED. She refused to sit back down again and wanted nothing to do with flushing it. I cheered and clapped and told her what a good girl she was, but nothing put a smile on her face. Turns out it scared the rest of the poo right back up, it was an hour before we was able to finish her business. I fear this may have put off potty training for some time.

4 comments:

  1. Good job, mom. You scared the crap into your child ;)

    Evan might like t-ball/baseball. If he can become comfortable with his position, he won't have to worry about other players interfering with his efforts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved it!

    Tell McKenna I'm proud of her.

    Good to know my kids weren't the only ones to find contact sports just plain rude.

    Scarlett LOVES to sit on the real potty - fully clothed - for a minute, and then "wipe." I don't think she's ready, but I'm thinking after New Year's maybe we'll give potty training a shot anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. awwww, poor Alana. . . . If your lucky she'll forget :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. SO funny! I feared something like that might happen to us so I've been showing Ev her dirty diapers on occasion. She's very intrigued, but disgusted at the same time (perfect! - but will probably translate to me wiping her bottom until she's 8y/o). Also, a huge "GREAT JOB" to McKenna and a sympathetic "I'm with you" to Evan.

    ReplyDelete