Thursday, January 6, 2011

Great Trip - Part 1

We had a wonderful vacation. Everyone was happy, healthy and got along great. What more could a mother ask for?

We began our trip at 1:00am. Ryan wanted to drive through the night and arrive at my sister's house in time for the kids to wake up and play all day. It worked out great. I certainly loved sleeping the drive away. It was the night of the eclipse and we did get to see some of it before the clouds came over.

We spent a day with my sister Rose in Colorado Springs and then headed for Wyoming the next morning. We were a bit concerned about the weather. There was a big storm predicted, but it turned out the be the most beautiful day to drive. The sun was out and the roads were clear. We stopped in Laramie and had lunch. We showed Evan the hospital he was born in. He was very excited. He is very proud to be born in Wyoming, which makes Ryan and I happy.

The drive from Laramie to Rock Springs was beautiful. The sky was so blue and the ground was so white with snow, I just marveled. I took a bunch of pictures through my window. I just couldn't get over how blue the sky was. We may live on the 'giant side of Texas', with a whole lot of sky to look at, but that's because that's all there is to look at. Even so, the sky in Wyoming that day beat anything Texas has to offer. It made me very homesick. I need to live in the mountains again.

We arrived at my Sister-in-law Stephanie's house without incident - unless you count all the whining and screaming coming from the backseat. Alana doesn't travel well. There is a good reason why, if possible, we travel through the night and not in the middle of the day.

She is getting better. We set up the DVD player in the middle of the van on top of the cooler. McKenna sat next to it and managed all the movie changes (I love having older kids!) Alana liked watching movies. It didn't keep her attention for long but it was something. I am enjoying my baby while she is still a baby, but I will not be sad when she is old enough to behave on a car trip. I see many, many more of them in our future.

1 comment: