Monday, January 10, 2011

Great Trip - Part 3

Upon leaving Wyoming we headed into Colorado. It was a quick 2.5 hour drive (I slept, Ryan drove) and before I knew it we were at my parents' house. It worked out with everyone's schedules for us all to meet there the day after Christmas. This year was especially magical. It was the first time we were all together for Christmas in about six years. This was our first Christmas with all the bro-in-laws in the picture and everyone's kids were healthy. 
The tree at Grandma's house is always fully loaded. The Jones family tradition for gift buying goes as follows: 1. the 5 sisters rotate buying for each other, 2. all aunts buy for all the nieces and nephews, and 3. Mom and Dad buy for everyone. So the kids come away feeling pretty good.
Mom passed out presents this year. She tries to keep it even and dishes out the gifts one or two at a time. I love going slow - it really makes the whole thing last longer.   I see what everyone gets, and I see the reactions from the kids. Watching the kids open presents is the best part.
Ryan and I got emergency preparedness stuff from my parents this year. We got a hand crank flashlight, a 100 hour candle, a hand crank radio and a case of food storage. My big, unexpected surprise was a quilt that my mother made. It is really beautiful. I am excited to have a guest room to put it in some day. I don't trust my kids not to destroy it, even if it was on my own bed.
We spent two days together as a family, playing lots of cards and eating lots of food. Two sisters and their families had to leave on Tuesday. Ryan and I wanted to stay with my parents until Thursday but a nasty storm had us leaving on Wednesday instead. It is a good thing we left when we did because Northern Colorado got 6-12 inches of snow. We would have been (happily) stuck for an extra day. But I promised my baby sister that I would spend New Years Eve with her so we left early. 
The trip to Colorado Springs was interesting. We had to call Rose halfway and have her find us a mechanic. Our van was not working properly. Tune in for Part 4.







1 comment: