Wednesday, October 27, 2010

My New Commitment

I am going to interrupt the memory-lane-photo-posts and discuss my newest mission.

I go to the gym at least 2 days a week. I go on Monday and Friday for my favorite class called Ultimate Workout. The instructor's name is Sandi and she kicks butt! The class is strength training with a bit of cardio mixed in. I have been attending her class for four months and have seen great progress.  There where times in the beginning when I couldn't walk for days after the class, so I knew that good things were happening. These days I am sore but easily able to work out again the next day. I managed to lose 7lbs since joining the gym in May. But in the last 4 weeks I have gotten lazy. I am eating bad and not pushing myself as hard in the classes (when I actually make it). I have gained a solid 5lbs back (not the muscle kind) and I am not happy with myself for it.

Sandi offered the class free fitness assessments (she is also a personal trainer) and I took her up on it. I needed some new motivation and information to get myself out of this hole I am digging. I got it. Because, apparently, I am fatter than I appear. That or we has a society have excepted a size 8 as skinny for so long that we don't realize that a size 8 still means 40lbs of fat. For me is does anyway. At 5'5'' I should not weight 147lbs. I don't feel fat. In fact I have thought many times that if I stay this weight forever I would be ok with that. I wouldn't love it, but I would be ok.

I don't think that anymore.

I got the motivation I needed.

I want to lose 15-20lbs.

My husband is buying me (he doesn't know it yet) a fancy heart monitor watch that will also tell me now many calories I am burning. I am going to start writing down what I eat. I am still going to allow myself some yummy stuff but in way more moderation.  I am going to workout harder, two hours three days a week. I want to work up to five days.

I will be a different woman when family sees me next summer.

I AM going to do this!

7 comments:

  1. You go girl! I so need to do this, self evaluate. I have not weighed myself since Ethan was 6 weeks old I think! Pretty sad. I know I could do with losing 10-15lbs atleast. I want to feel soooo good before I consider another pregnancy, so we'll see how that goes!

    P.S. No joke! The verification word was Shera!! You are SheRa!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go Sarah! I am totally in the same boat... I HAVE to loose the weight for my MS... Good luck girlie! I'm trying to get up my motivation too! So please Inspire me! lol! I'll be your cheerleader!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are two primary motivators to get in shape: vanity and quality of life. Use what works for you.

    Increasing the number of days you work out per week is crucial. Exercise should become a lifestyle and not an event. Stay hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you ever read "French Women Don't Get Fat?" It has a lot of great advice on just making your lifestyle healthier and how to get more fruits and vegetables and everything in, even some really great recipes. I really enjoyed the book, I've got a copy if you ever want to borrow it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm... Commenting on your own wife's efforts to lose weight is a tricky business. You wanna be supportive without giving the impression that you think it's an issue that needs to be addressed.

    Uh, good luck Honey?

    ReplyDelete
  6. ... and marital accord continues for another season.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you all for the support. I am really fired up about this.

    Kathryn-Juice Plus will be a motivator on my journy. I will be calling you soon.

    Jess-You are amazing and I know you can tackle this just like you have your MS. I believe in you!

    Jason-Both things motivate me. I am on medication for High BP. I am hoping that losing the weight will take care of that little problem. Plus I want to look hot in a size 4 jeans.

    Casi-I definitely want to read that book.

    Ryan-no need to worry I know you love me at all my sizes. ;)

    ReplyDelete