Wednesday, December 1, 2010

When it Rains.....

It is said that bad things come in threes. My current set has been spread out over the last six months so, I suppose technically this cliche may not apply. But, since I paid for them all today, I am claiming an exception.


#1 Cracked Windshield
Our faithful Toyota Camry got a tiny chip on the lower driver's side corner about 3 years ago. We didn't even know it was there until the crack started creeping across the bottom. It was very slow moving and was low enough not to be in the way - until 4 months ago. For some unexplained reason a new crack emerged out of the same chip and headed straight up and across our line of sight. It made its way across the whole window and sealed its fate. With that crack so high there was no way it would pass state inspection in January. So like it or not we needed to replace it before the end of the year.

#2 New Van Tires
I am pretty sure I recall my father telling me, twenty months ago when he walked me through my new/used van, that it needed new tires soon. I managed to put that bit of info out of my brain. I heard it again from the oil change guy when he rotated them for me last spring. I finally got the hint when I had to take the van in for a broken door last month (sliding door wouldn't latch. Fixed in a couple of days for a reasonable price - moved on). While ringing me up the salesman nicely pointed out that I REALLY needed new tires. They were in bad shape and I shouldn't take any road trips until they are replaced. Ironically, I had just arrived home from the 3-day, 430 mile trip to New Mexico I took with Rose and all the kids. I instantly gave thanks that the trip went off without a flat. He was nice enough to include a tire quote with my receipt. I have gingerly driven around town since, constantly checking my tires, expecting to find one flat. Thankfully that never happened.

#3 Busted Back Window
Ryan called me yesterday to inform me that when he went out to move the Camry from two hour parking, he found a shattered back window. Lovely. Who knows how it happened, car kicked a rock, kid threw a rock - I suppose I really doesn't matter. What matters is that we need to replace it and insurance is not going to pay for it.

So there you have it, my three deep stabs to the check book. I called around for quite awhile yesterday and I feel that I got the best pricing possible. Ryan and I juggled the car and the van and managed to have them both repaired and picked up both kids from school on time. I feel good about how today went and the service I received for the tires and windows. I would gladly recommend them both to anyone (Lubbock Auto Glass, Scoggin-Dicky Parts and Service).

The safety and security that the tires and windows will bring will be worth it. It's just painful to spend $797.77 in one day and not really have anything fun or exciting to show for it.

1 comment:

  1. I feel your pain. At some point we quit keeping track of the thousands spent this year on fixing stuff.

    At least most of it didn't go for fixing US. Stuff breaking is okay, people breaking is not.

    ReplyDelete