I got a speeding ticket.
Bad Mommy!
I was late leaving the house to pick Evan up from school. Alana was screaming at me from the back seat so I was way too distracted. By the time I saw the cop on his motorcycle I knew he had me. He was hurriedly putting away his stuff and switching on his lights and pulling out right behind me.
I dutifully pulled over. I didn't bother to argue or make excuses. I was caught doing 59 mph in a 45 mph. It is a tricky spot because the road he clocked me on is essentially a long ramp to enter the freeway. I was speeding up to get into traffic. I guess I was speeding up too early. I took my ticket and went on to pick up Evan, extra late.
Texas is not very nice to speeders. I found out the next day that the ticket would cost me $237. Ouch! They are not completely heartless, however, and since this is my first ticket I can get it dismissed if I attend defensive driving school. I have to pay $107 for the course. And get this, I have to pay an extra $10 to get my driving record (from the state of Texas) to prove that I haven't taken the course before (from the state of Texas). They were at least nice enough to give me an extension of 45 days. I picked the wrong time of year to get a ticket.
So come the first of January I will march into the courthouse, pay the money and get going with the process.
You can find really cheap state certified defensive driving courses online.
ReplyDeleteThis is an area I have too much experience in.
Oh that does suck! I got a speeding ticket right when we got a new vehicle that was an automatic, going down a hill because I was used to shifting down to slow down. Utah isn't as harsh, it was only $80. Just think of it as funding the DARE program, it makes it feel better to write the check.
ReplyDelete