My birthday has fallen on finals week for the past 7 years of Ryan's schooling(the end is in sight). He always feels bad about this because he wants to do everything for me and make it a big fancy special day. But he never has the time. Between finals and huge papers due, the end of the semester is a time crunch. I am not a needy girl and I understand his predicament. Aside from this year, he has never forgotten to get me a card. There have been a couple of years when he helped the kids to make me breakfast. I refuse to make my own birthday cake so I haven't had one. This year was a bit different.
Ryan and I had our usual Friday night date. My friend April swapped days with me so I could have a date on my birthday weekend instead of babysitting (thanks!). We went to dinner and I had a nasty pasta. I took two bits and lost my appetite. After that we went to the First Friday Art Trail. It's nice doing that together and not have the kids to look out for. Ryan let me pick out a new bracelet for my birthday but the lady didn't take debit and we don't carry cash. We ended up getting stranded far away from our car waiting for the trolley and were 30 minutes late picking up the kids. We got home and put the kids to bed. End of date. Ryan stayed up until 3am grading papers for the class he teaches.
Sunday was the usual Ryan working and me handling things. I prepared my lesson, cooked some beans for dinner, cleaned and got the kids ready for church. Church was great. Ryan handled Alana which is a full time job and I got to focus on our class and the lesson. I really enjoyed teaching this week and it made me sad that the year is almost over. I don't want a new class I want to keep the one I have. I feel that we finally have a good thing going and I don't want to start all over again. Guess we'll see what happens.
Sunday dinner was great. Everyone sang to me and I blew out my candle. It was sweet. I was teased about being old and all around loved. It was perfect.
Ryan wants to give me a proper day off once school ends for the semester. I know it will be lovely. I had a great birthday weekend full of adventure, food, kids and love. I'll take it.
| I love this picture so I had to include it. |
No comments:
Post a Comment