Ryan and I sat down with McKenna over the weekend and talked about sex.
McKenna is a very mature girl of seven. She sat and listened. She didn't get embarrassed or creeped out. She just took it all in.
Ryan led the discussion as we all sat together on the bed looking at the anatomy book. We showed her all the appropriate pictures and explained how things worked (within reason). We told her that sex is something that is supposed to be between husband and wife and any boy who tries to tell her differently is not worth having around. We defined the words virgin and sexy (she has asked about them in the past) and stressed the importance of her not talking to other kids about this. I hope she keeps her promise.
When it was all done the only question she had was, "What is that hanging down behind the penis? What does it do?". A good question that I think we all have wondered at one time or another.
She seemed so grown up through the whole process. I could tell that she felt like she was now a part of a special secret. She is such a good girl and I am so proud of the choices that she has made so far in her life. I think she will continue to make me proud.
I will be extremely happy if I don't hear her speak the word penis again for a very long time.
"What is that hanging down behind the penis? What does it do?"
ReplyDeleteI distinctly remember asking my own mother if that was "where the pee comes from" when I was close to the same age. I even remember where I was standing and who else was present (Jason and a friend named Alex Wood).
It's funny the things that stick in your head. I can also remember exactly where I was when I asked what happens to all the food we eat, even though I was several years younger.
The crazy thing about "The Talk" is that you don't have it just one time - or maybe my kids didn't find it very memorable. Both my older girls have forgotten things, and then I've had to explain it again. Fun.
ReplyDeleteNever thought I'd be chasing Lizzy down the hall yelling, "Wait, I need to show you this picture of a uterus!"
Oh my not sure im ready. Can I send hay over there? Very good parenting.
ReplyDelete