Ryan and I decided that it would be fun to start doing kid dates with the older two kids. The idea came about when I learned that the city was putting on musical productions at an outdoor amphitheater. I really wanted to go. At first I thought it would be a fun family activity....then I got realistic. No way would Evan be able to sit still through something like this and Alana would be a nightmare. So I figured that maybe McKenna and I would go alone and have some girl time. Then Ryan surprised me and said he was interested in seeing the show as well. I was really excited. The kid date was planned.
Lubbock Midnight Musicals is putting on two theatrical productions this year; Hello Dolly in June and Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory in August. I want to see both. I love going to stage shows. As a youth, I was in a couple of productions - Bye Bye Birdie and The Nutcracker. I really loved it. I have been hooked ever since. I am hoping to spark that interest in McKenna. It was a fantastic experience that I think is right up her alley. I no longer feel that I have what it takes to be part of a musical myself (time or talent), but I will happily attend.
Our big night came and the weather forecast called for severe thunderstorms. I spent the day worried that the show would be canceled, but we wouldn't know until we got there. At 7:00pm I picked up the babysitter for Evan and Alana. This is the first time we have ever had a young woman come into our home to babysit. The kids thought it was very strange, but Evan was excited. I packed some snacks, drinks, blanket and pillows to sit on (I forgot the bug spray, thankfully we didn't need it) and we were off.
We got to the amphitheater, found a good spot and set up our gear. It turned out to be a perfect night. The weather cooled off a bit (100 degree high that day) and we had a wonderful breeze to keep us comfortable. I bought McKenna a little ice cream at the concessions stand and we settled in for the show.
Hello Dolly is one of my favorite musicals. I watched the movie several times when I was younger. The Dolly in this play was no Barbra Streisand. She could hardly hold a tune at all. I just let it go and enjoyed the experience. There were a few good actor/singers and the atmosphere was just what I was hoping it would be.
McKenna really enjoyed the show and she really enjoyed getting to have her Mom and Dad all to herself for a few hours. I am already looking forward to taking her to Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. I'll review that show too when the time comes.
No comments:
Post a Comment