The subject of tattoos has come up a lot lately in several different settings. I decided that this would be a good topic for my blog. I certainly have an opinion on the matter.
Pictured at the top is my tattoo. Some would be surprised to know that I have a tattoo and to some this is old news. I got this tattoo in Craig, CO when I was 20 years old. It was totally impulsive but, surprisingly, never regretted. I went to support my very good friend Jen. She was getting one on her lower back after her husband went on and on about how "HOT" lower back tattoos are. She made the appointment for herself and I was along for moral support. As we searched the magazines and books for her perfect one, I was getting more and more convinced that I wanted one too. It seemed wrong but still very cool at the same time. When I was done holding Jen's hand through the pain, there was still time, so I thought "what the heck, why not?"
I wanted to get something that I knew would have lifelong meaning to me. Hence, the CTR. Is it lame that my "Choose the Right" is on my right foot? Maybe. It just happened to be the best toe choice. I picked my toe so that if I chose to conceal it, then I could do so by wearing the right kind of shoes. Back to the CTR. This was a simple choice for me. I knew that my church would always be a strong part of my life. But should I ever, by chance, fall away for a while, then I have a constant reminder right in front of me. (not that I ever expect that to happen) The little gecko was needed for some color. I chose the gecko for two reasons. Jen got some geckos on her back and I saw this as something we did together and I wanted to always remember it that way. She was a very important person in my life at that time. She taught me many things about life and friendship that I know still influence me today. We still keep in touch but with her living in Illinois we are not as close as I would like. Life happens. The second reason is that the gecko is the symbol of rock climbing (or least it was when I was a kid) and I was a pretty serious rock climber for many years.
My cousin got a new tattoo the other day. I am not sure what it says but she told me that it's across her shoulders. That sounds pretty big. I am a fan of tattoos in general but I am quick to judge if I think one is good or not. I don't like big tattoos on women. I also don't like LOTS of tattoos together in one place, like an arm sleeve or a full back. I think tattoos can be very beautiful if they are a nice size and design. When I am watching UFC with Ryan I am always commenting on the fighters' tattoos. It's hard to find a fighter who doesn't have at least one. Sometimes I will remember a fighter's tattoos better than his face.
I also don't think that tattoos are anything to be ashamed of. I hate it when I comment on someone's tattoo and they instantly start to explain themselves or justify why they have them. I say if you have them then own it. Work those tattoos and feel proud of them. It's something you're going to have for the rest of your life - unless you are willing to suffer pain and money to get them removed.
Being a member of a church that frowns upon getting tattoos can be awkward at times. I once had a young girl in my CTR 4 primary class ask me what that was on my toe (I was wearing a flip-flop type sandal) I simply told her it was a tattoo. "Like drawing on my skin with a pen, but this will never ever wash off. Drawing on your skin is naughty, huh Hanna." I then had to explain to her mother after class what happened. I could just hear what the dinner conversation could have been. Hanna saying, "I learned about tattoos in my class today. Sister Graham showed me hers." Could have been bad. Her mother was good about the whole thing. But you never know what someone's reaction is going to be. I have had lots of "that's cool! I would get one if I could." I have also had the awkward (high pitched monotone voice) "Oh, you have a tattoo. That's neat." I don't let it bother me.
I love my tattoo. If the Prophet of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (my church) had not counseled us to not get tattoos and body piercings, then I can guarantee I would have at least one more. Ryan and I really wanted to get matching ones when we got married. It was really hard not to.
So to all those who have tattoos. Rock'em like you're awesome. To those who are thinking about getting one - really consider the size and location as much as you consider the design.

I always thought if I got a tattoo it would have my name and, "If found, please return to..."
ReplyDeleteChoose The Right Gecko
ReplyDeleteAlthough I've given you some ribbing in person for the location and subject matter of your tattoo, it is cute. And harmless.
If Stephanie placed her tattoo where you did, that would essentially be a toe tag.