In my life I have moved 8 times, I have attended 8 different schools and lived in 6 states. I am no stranger to losing friends. However this week has been a bit hard. Two of my dearest friends moved away. It's a lot easier to be the one leaving then the one left behind. I know this from experience. But, that doesn't make it better when I am still here for two more years. Just to top things off I find myself in a new ward at church (boundary switch) so in a sense I am starting over without even moving. So I must decide. Do I want to put myself out there and find new friends? Should I just try to strengthen the friendships that remain here or be content with what I have currently.
After looking around my new ward I am not encouraged. There are a few familiar faces that I seek out each Sunday so I don't feel totally alone. Great woman that I know well from my book group and some that I have met at play group but nobody that I have the perfect me (plus children) match up with.
I think it is human nature to befriend woman who are in the same stage of life as we are. It's just easier that way. Singles with singles, married with married, have kids with have kids. There is balance in this. Balance is safe and uncomplicated. Those of us with kids take it a step further and try to find friends with kids the same ages as our own (again the whole balance thing). This way if they invite you over for dinner you can safely assume that they will have a child proof home, age appropriate toys and serve food that kids will eat. This is not an easy match to make. McKenna is the only girl her age. She is almost 7 the next girl up is 9 and the next girl down is 5. I don't see her finding a good friend in our new ward. There is a set of 6 year old twin boys. I think McKenna and Evan would have fun playing with them. They have a 2yr old sister that Alana could follow around. Their parents are really cool people. Ryan and I could really hit it off with them. But, they are very social and already seem to have lots of friends they hangout with.
I have my friend B. T. whom I adore. She has 2 amazing boys and my kids LOVE to go over and play at their house. But she is a lifer in this town and has told me many times that she doesn't like making besties with someone that she knows is leaving at some point (this town is very transit with the college here). It's just to hard to always be saying goodbye and be left behind. I totally understand and respect her opinion. I love her dearly so I don't want to hurt her later.
For now I think I will just coast. See if something happens naturaly. I am not going to seek out new friendships but should one seek me out I will be receptive.
To my good friend, Valerie. I will miss you tons. McKenna will also miss her best friend Julia. I hope you have great success in your new home.
B.T. here (I hope). I LOVE YOU GIRL! First of all, you are right, I do feel exactly the way you said, BUT I only sort of mean it ;) I would not want to miss out on the next 2 years of being a close friend to you for ANYTHING, even if it means that it will hurt a lot more when you guys go. If this year has taught me anything it is that nothing in life is certain except that it will certainly change and take you directions you never thought it would (and that direction is almost always better than the direction you intended to go). I do think you should get out there and make new friends, but for sure you should be my bestie too...there is no time limit on friendship and I know that you guys are not "lifers", but I think I can let it slide just this once, but just for you ;) I'm working this weekend but let's get together next week and plan our next 2 years...it will be like a mission and who just forgets their mission ;)
ReplyDelete