The first day of school for McKenna is tomorrow. She is dance-around-the-house excited about her new school. I guess I am old enough, with enough experience, to know she should be nervous. She is not. So, I find that I am having anxiety on her behalf. It's not the new kids that I worry so much about. She is still young enough that kids will be nice. I know she will make friend fast. She is pretty good about that. I am nervous because she will be put in new situations and have to figure things out on her own. For example, she has never eaten in a cafeteria or had to go through a lunch line. She has never been to a P.E., music, or art class. Now, these are the reasons we wanted to move her to this school in the first place so I am very happy. Just a bit nervous. Mostly because I will not be there to help her feel comfortable and see that she does it right. She is at a point now where she gets embarrassed EXTREMELY easy. I just want everything to go smoothly for her. McKenna is very bright and she learns fast so I am sure that it will all be fine. But, I am a mom so I will worry.
Once the semester starts for Ryan I will essentially be a single mother Monday through Friday. With everything that he has going on I know he will not be around much. When he is at home he will be in the office chained to the computer. I have a feeling that this will be the hardest semester yet. At least for him being able to schedule enough family time.
When Evan starts school on September 7, things will really get crazy for me. He will go to a private preschool about a 15-20 minute drive from our apartment. He is currently enrolled in the MWF class (I have him on the waiting list for Monday-Friday but I am not holding my breath). He only has class from 9-12pm. That will give me the chance to go to the gym but I don't need to be there for 3 hours. I will end up with a lot of wasted time on my hands between gym and picking him up. I can get my shopping and other running around done, but I don't need to shop three days a week. That's just dangerous. Maybe Alana will let me read a book in the car. Not likely, but I will try.
For the first time in our kids' lives, we have a bit of extra money for extra things. The Army has been a huge blessing that way. McKenna will be starting dance classes. We haven't decided between a tap, ballet, jazz combo or a hip-hop class. I think she will pick hip-hop. I wish I could do both but I think we should start small. Evan will start soccer next week. He will have one practice a week and a game every Saturday morning through October.
I will become a carpool soccer/dance Mom. It's a good thing I like my van so much.
Yay! I'm so glad that McKenna gets to do dance. And the fact that McKenna is so excited--and not scared--for school is probably a sign that she is a confident, well-adjusted little girl.
ReplyDelete