Tuesday, September 14, 2010

A Service After All

Ryan found out from Mr. B's family that a service was planned after all.

The family was at his place Sunday night getting more stuff. Ryan just happened to be taking out the trash and saw them. The sister called out to him and asked if I was still collecting his mail. Ryan directed her to the office and asked about a memorial service. She told him that they were having one on Tuesday at 10:00am at Griffin funeral home. It's sad, but I didn't believe her. I checked the obituaries - nothing. So I called the funeral home and found out that they were having a graveside service at that time. Nothing was being held at the funeral home itself. Glad I called.

I arranged for my friend Tara (Thanks!) to watch Alana so I could go kid free. I arrived a little late because I got really lost (had to call Ryan and have him look it up and direct me there). I only caught the last 10 minutes. That means if they started on time then the entire thing was only 20 minutes long. At no point did anyone say anything about Royce. The preacher only talked about how Jesus can help us through this tough time. I don't disagree with that, but I would have liked to hear something about the man I came to honor. There were about 25 people there and I would say that five of us were dressed up. The remainder were in t-shirts and jeans. Just when I thought "this is not a very nice way to say goodbye to a family member" I realized that he was being buried in a cardboard box. I double checked, because I couldn't believe it. It was heavy-duty, but still cardboard. I know for a fact that Royce had money, so I don't believe that they couldn't have afforded a casket. Royce was always helping his family: giving them money, a place to stay, borrow the car - he was good to them. In the end, all they wanted was his money and big flat screen TV. It just makes me sad.

I did offer my condolences to his Mother. She is very old and the only nice one in the bunch. She talked to Royce on the phone every day (neither of his two sisters would ever bring her over to see him). She recognized me and knew who I was. Royce told her all about me. I know she is grateful for what I did for him. I honestly believe that she is the only one of his family who really loved him.

When the service was all over and I had a chance to reflect, I wished I hadn't known about it. I was left with bitter feelings toward his family - things that I had started to get past. I will move on just fine. But I have been taught a life lesson about greed and how nasty family can get when someone dies.

I am so thankful that I have the family that I do.

2 comments:

  1. Further proof that successive generations are devolving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Sarah, that just made me feel for him and want to cry! A cardboard box... it seems like such an inhumane way to let someone rest. I would feel disrespected but I am sure he is with those passed on and laughing. Hard to do that here when you just want someone loved and good to be treasured and thought of. Pray for them Sarah, sometimes it's all we can do when we will never understand.

    ReplyDelete